tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 20 19:01:16 1998

Re: My first attempt at tlhIngan Hol

At 15:30 98-04-20 -0700, Matt wrote:
}nuqneH.  *Matt* pongwIj'e'.  *English*jIH. pa'DaqwIj jIHtaH.  mujatlhqanglu.
}bIyajpu''a'.
}
}To aid someone (probably Qov!) in their reply here is what I wanted to say:

Hee hee.  You know the drill. It helps me indeed.  I'm currently the chief
answerer and encourager of beginners, but I've got lots of backup for when I
miss.  To make sure that I read a post, put the letters "KLBC" in the
subject.  Sometimes I skip other posts.

}nuqneH.
}Hello.

Starting a conversation with a greeting isn't required and may be frowned on
by Klingons.  See the introduction to TKD and p. 184 of KGT for details.

}*Matt* pongwIj'e'.

I can see you've been following the discussion and seen me yelling about
{-'e'}.  You're safe, you got {-'e'}. :)  You missed something else, though.
Have a look at section 6.3, especially starting with the words, "In the
above examples."  Do you see how you have to include a pronoun, even if in
English you wouldn't use it?  Say {*Matt* 'oH pongwIj'e'}  "My name is Matt."

}*English*jIH.

Don't run words together: just attach the required suffixes and prefixes.

The structure {X jIH} from the beginning of section 6.3 only means "I am X"
when X is a noun. {*English* jIH} means  "I am an English."  Try: {*England*
ngan jIH} "I am an inhabitant of England." -- an Englishman, thus "I am
English."  You probably may run those two words {*England*ngan} together,
because it seems to be the way Klingons do it with many nationalities.

}pa'DaqwIj jIHtaH.

Careful, watch suffix order.  {-Daq} is a type 5 noun suffix (N5) and {-wIj}
is an N4.  So {-wIj} always has to come before {-Daq}.  Lots to think about, eh?

{pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH}  "I'm in my room."

}mujatlhqanglu.
}People find me easy to talk to.  (literally People willingly speak to me.)

I like the way you have tried out suffixes and examples from different parts
of the book.  I get the idea that you wrote this sentence by looking at
{-qang} and {-lu'} and trying to find a good way to use them.  That is a
much better way to start out than just looking for Klingon grammar to match
English ideas.  A couple of problems though.

First, it's {-lu'}, not {-lu}.  Those {'} letters are very important.  If
you've ever had a situation that might be a baby, then you know that the {'}
that turns {ghu} into {ghu'} is MIGHTY important!

Second, have another look at section 4.2.5 and see a very unusual thing that
{-lu'} does to the verb prefix.  It completely changes the meaning.  When a
verb has the suffix {-lu'}, only the third person object prefixes are used,
and the prefixes that would normally represent a particular subject, instead
represent that object.  So {vI-} is the prefix to use, even though {mu-}
*does* normally indicate that something is being done to a first person
singular object.

Finally, the result of this, {vIjatlhqanglu'} is ambiguous.  It might mean
"I am willing to be spoken to" (compare with {HeghqangmoHlu'pu'} p. 45 TKD).
It could mean "one is willing to speak to me."  I don't think we have a way
of knowing.  If that ambiguity is unacceptable, consider:

jIHvaD jatlhqang nuvpu'
or
mujatlhqang nuvpu'

for the same meaning.  It doesn't let you use the {-lu'} suffix, though.

}bIyajpu''a'.
}Have you understood me?

You asked "Have you understood?"  and the answer is {HIja'.  jIyaj 'ej
bIqeqchugh tugh bIpo'choH.  tlhIngan Duj Daghajlaw'}  If you wanted to say
truly "Do you understand me?" you can use a different prefix: {choyaj'a'?}

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level