tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 20 09:06:12 1998

Re: -be'taH & -taHbe'

From: Jon Brown <[email protected]>

>>Since something like {-Qo'} must, by necessity, negate the whole
>word, it is
>>not inconceivable that {-be'} could do that too.
>
>If you mean the verb construction preceding it then I fully agree with
>you but not if you mean the whole construction then I don't.  I have
>felt for some time that  MO's examples (that I can remember) work
>fine, with the translations he gives, if you take that approach.  SEE
>SuStel's example later.

Er, I'm SuStel, and I wrote that.

>>>Of course, the only way to make that assumption is to ignore
>>>everything Okrand says about {-be'} modifying the preceding
>>>syllable, right there in TKD...
>
>I have read through the Rover section several times on this occasion
>and cannot find anywhere referring to -be' negating only the suffix or
>verb preceding it. However, MO does say, "it follows the concept being
>negated."
>Doesn't the concept mean the construction preceding -be'  but not
>following it.

It has been discussed by Okrand, such as in TKW where he points out the
difference between {-be'nIS} and {-nISbe'}.  *Most* of the time, {-be'}
negates only that which immediately precedes it, and nothing else.

>>Actually, my point was that the "interesting problems" of {-Qo'}
>*might* be
>>able to help us justify the {chuStaHbe'} = "not
>continuously-being-noisy"
>>interpretation.  Without such an interpretation, {-taHbe'} must mean
>>"discontinuously."
>
>"According to my dictionary dis- is a prefix derived from Latin
>indicating 'opposite', 'not' as in …………, discontinue."
>
>So why does discontinously not mean the same as not-continously.

I didn't say it was different.  I just find it easier to use the word
"discontinuous" than the pseudo-word "not-continuous."

>If we're discussing where the dash goes,  'being noisy in a
>non-continuous fashion,' or 'not….continuously-being-noisy' mean the
>same anyway.

Not they don't.  "being noisy non-continously" means you definitely are
being noisy, while "not being-noisy-continuously" could mean your noise is
present but discontinuous, or it could mean that you are not being noisy at
all.

>>Not everything.  We have examples which show that {-be'} is not
>always as
>>simple as that.  {Hoch DaSopbe'chugh batlh bIHeghbe'} is a good one.
>"Eat
>>everything or you will die without honor."  Literally, {batlh
>bIHeghbe'}
>>looks like "you will not-die with honor."  In otherwords, you will
>remain
>>alive with honor.
>
>WHY!
>When the time comes, every Klingon wants to 'die-with-honour' so to be
>told 'not-die-with-honour' (as you put it) would be a great threat
>indeed and means the same as, 'die without honour'.  Unless that is
>you mean we should take the words not-die, take that meaning (live)
>out of context and place it back into the sentence.. I can find no
>evidence that MO does this except when it has the same meaning.

You're not looking at it literally.  {bIHeghbe'} "You will not die."  {batlh
bIHeghbe'} "You will not die, and you will do that (failing to die) with
honor."  That's not what the saying means.  The saying means "You will die
with honor — NOT!"  See?  In the first interpretation, we assumed that
{-be'} could only negate the element immediately preceding it.  In the
actual meaning, we must assume that {-be'} negates (1) the adverbial, or (2)
the entire sentence.

SuStel
Stardate 98299.6

Back to archive top level