tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 20 08:11:45 1998

Re: jItaghwI'

At 04:57 98-04-20 -0700, Kira wrote:

majQa', Kira.  tlhIngan Hol DajatlhchoHba'.
Well done, Kira.  You're clearly beginning to speak Klingon.

}Kira Ch'ano 'oH pongwIj'e'

qay'be'.  No problem.

}jItaghwI'

Here you have to make a choice.  The verb {tagh} means begin.  You can put a
verb prefix on it, to make it into {jItagh} "I begin" or you can put {-wI'}
on to make it into {taghwI'} "beginner".  Once you have {-wI'} on it, it
stops being a verb, so you can't put a verb prefix on it anymore  Does that
make sense?  You probably meant {taghwI' jIH} "I am a beginner."  Compare
with {tlhIngan jIH}, explained in section 6.3.

}thlIngan Hol vIjathlaHbe'

You likely, and almost correctly, got that one out of the book.  Note that
the letter {tlh} is t-l-h.  I *know* your fingers will mess it up because
it's an odd thing to type in English. You get used to it.  So used to it
that I have trouble typing "health" and "triathlon" now.

See how the suffixes work in that one? {-laH} for "can" followed by {-be'}
to make it "cannot."

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level