tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 16 18:18:50 1998

Re: KLBC: nobmey

At 11:59 98-04-15 -0700, you wrote:
}jIHvaD nobmey vInob'eghpu'. (I gave myself some gifts.)
}
}poS ghopDaq, *Replica Viking* Qeb vIghaj. baS chIS 'oH.
}QebDaq *rune*mey ghItlhpu'.

Good use of ghItlh, except you probably need {ghItlhlu'pu'} "have been
engraved."  Otherwise you're implying a third person subject you never stated.

}HoS quvmoH wa'DIch.
}naQ 'e' quvmoH cha'DIch.
}quv'egh 'e' quvmoH chorghDIch.

}(On my left hand, I have a replica of a Viking ring.
}It's silver.  Runes are inscribed into the ring.  The
}first honors "strength."  The second, "wholeness."
}The eighth honors the Self.)

You know, I think this is a good place for {-ghach}.  I read "the second
honours its being whole" and "the third honours it honouring itself."  This
really is an instance of turning a verb into a noun concept, and one where
you don't mind calling attention to the word, so {-ghach} seems like the
right tool.

{naQtaHghach} and {quv'eghghach}  "wholeness" and "self honouring."  Also
consider {'oS} instead of {quvmoH}.

}baS chIS Qeb ghaj ghop nIH je.
}(My right hand has a silver ring too.

I think you were right above with {poS ghop} - "the hand of my left side."
Make it {nIH ghop}, for symmetry if nothing else.  {je} follows the verb in
order for it to mean "also."

}baghbogh *Celtic* tlhegh not rIn.

Did I mispaste this when editing, or did you really write a sentence with
the subject before the verb and the adverb after it?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level