tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 12 09:40:36 1998

Re: KLBC:have

At 07:50 98-04-12 -0700, QomwI' wrote:
}Qov and others,
}
}I'm trying to write something about my family and relatives and I came
}across this problem: how to say "I have one brother/two sisters/three
}daughters etc." Can I use {ghaj}-"have, possess"? They're not my private
}property after all,

}or was the aspect "possess" merely added in TKD to
}distinguish the meaning of {ghaj} from "have" as an auxiliary or the use
}of "have" with the meaning of "must"?

I don't know what Marc Okrand was thinking when he wrote that, but I expect
it was just to clarify which meaning of "have" {ghaj} carries.  I don't
object to {jup vIghaj} {puq vIghaj} {puqloD vIghaj}.  It's possible that
Klingons don't say it, byut if they have an alternate idiom, we don't know it.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level