tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 07 22:37:35 1998

re: veS bom

At 20:29 98-04-07 -0700, Lawrence wrote:
}Normally I miss Qov's challenges until too much time has passed.

No such thing.  In fact, I was thinking of putting the old ones on a web
page, as an answer to the beginners who complain that they have to translate
pop songs because they can't think of anything to write.

}This is my first attempt at a Klingon limerick. Those who attended the
qep'a' loSDIch are expected to smile or groan (or both) at the subject matter.

}qep'a'Daq pawchoHchugh HoSDo'
}juppu'lI' tIQan. tIchoSQo'
}chaq quv nuqemchoH
}pagh Sov nughojmoH
}mIghbe'. chaq DIyajHa' joSmo'
}
}If Energy beings begin arriving at the conference
}protect your friends. Do not desert them.
}Perhaps they [the energy beings] bring us honor,
}or they will teach us knowledge.
}They are not evil. Perhaps we misunderstand them because of rumor.

}With luck, there are no more than a dozen grammatical mistakes that the BG
}will doubtlessly bring to my attention.

Not bad at all. As it is a limerick, and because Nick Nicholas does it to
me, I have to point out that the stress falls on most of the wrong
syllables, plus the {-choH} on {nuqemchoH} is forced for the rhyme.  The
only real error I see is where you fell right into my trap.  I knew someone
would forget what he or she knew about word order in the quest for the
rhyme. ;-)

I first read the last sentence as "perhaps we misunderstand them because
they gossip" which is merely weird, and requires me to recite the charghwI'
clause on verbal {-mo'}, but then I saw your translation.  Any noun that is
not the subject or object must precede the OVS of the sentence.  joSmo'
cannot go at the end if it is to mean "because of rumour."

pItlh.  Dubbej laHlIj.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level