tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 04 12:02:16 1998

Re: KLBC: qech ngo'

At 13:13 98-04-02 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
}ja' Qov:
}> At 13:26 98-03-27 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
}
}[...HIvqa' pe'wI'...]
}
}> }ngo' moQ qech.
}> }The idea of a sphere is old.
}>
}> Again there is ambiguity in the Klingon, because you could be talking about
}> ideas the sphere has.  That's the first way I read it.
}
}Interesting. So, does Klingon have something like an objective genitive - I
}don't know the correct English term, the Latin term would be "genitivus
}obiectivus" ?For example the Latin "amor parentum" could either mean "the
}parents' love" (genitivus subiectivus) or "the love to the parents" (genitivus
}obiectivus).
}Even the English "of"-phrase is ambiguous. At school we learnt that only people
}can have an "s"-genitive, things  _always_  have the "of"-genitive. "the man's
}idea" - "the idea of a man" is clear, but "the idea of a sphere" is ambiguous.
}Some will say now "How can a sphere have an idea?" I didn't see any ambiguity,
}either, but Qov obviously does.

And I didn't even see the movie Sphere. :)  I guess too much science fiction
leaves you considering the ideas of anything. :)  I do remember the English
rule that the 's genitive should only be used with people, but I don't obey
it.  Your Klingon sentence was not wrong, was probably the best sentence for
the thought. I was just pointing out a possible ambiguity.

}[...HIvqa' pe'wI'...]
}
}> }pay' ngermey ngo' luqawlu'. noy *Copernicus*
}> }*Galilei* je pongmey.
}> }
}> }Suddenly they
}> }(impersonal) remembered the old theories. The names of Copernicus and
}> }Galilei are famous.
}>
}> }Sov ngo' luSamqa'ta' chaH. vaj ngermey chu'
}> }chenmoHlaH.
}>
}> }They had found again the old knowledge. So they
}> }could make up new theories.
}>
}> I'm not sure who the "they" is here/  I first read it as being Copernicus
}> and Galileo.  You might be better here to continue in the impersonal voice.
}> Sov ngo' Samqa'lu'ta'. ngermey chu' chenmoHlaH vay'.
}
}Actially I  _did_  mean Copernicus and Galilei.

va.  HIvqa' veqlargh.  Daj jIyajchu'.

}> Daj lutlIj, HovqIj.  tlhochchuqlaw'mo' SovlIj paqlIj je bIQulchoH 'ej maHvaD
}> De' Daj Damuch.  loQ QeD tIQ vIqaw jIH.  moQ 'oH tera''e' 'e' lutobmeH cha'
}> tej, DIS chongDaq Qam wa', tlhaq qar 'uchtaHvIS.  Hopbogh DIS chongDaq Qam
}> tlhaq ghajbogh latlh tej'e'.  quqbe' DungluQmeyHeychaj 'ach tay'qa'DI' chaH,
}> quqtaH tlhaqmey. jIluj'a'?
}
}qatlh? lutvam vISovbe'pu' 'ach vItIv. moQ 'oH tera''e' lutobmeH tejvetlh
ngong }Daj lu'ogh.

chaq bIQultaHvIS lutna' DalaDpu' 'e' vItul.  qarchu'be' qech vIqawlaw'bogh
'e' vIpIH.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level