tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 03 10:16:50 1998

Re: ghojmoH

Okrand has been very clear about this. Words like {ghojmoH}
really are just {ghoj} plus {-moH} with a couple of exceptions.
In fact, I think he has only given us one explicit exception.

The command, "teach yourself" would have to be {yIghoj'eghmoH}.
It could not be {*yIghojmoH'egh*}. The suffix order must be
maintained.

The exception is {lo'laH}, which was turned into a single root
verb so it can be used as an adjective. Normally a verb used as
an adjective could not take the {-laH} suffix.

charghwI'

According to m109:

> Thus {ghoj} and {ghojmoH} each get counted, because each is found
> in TKD.  {bel} and {belHa'} both appear
>
> Just a question, I'm sure you must have answered this before but please,
> one more time.
>
> Are words like ghojmoH, belHa' and muSHa' actual words or do we count
> them as useful constructions.  Suppose I wanted to say 'Teach yourself!'
> Would I say ghoj'eghmoH *Cause yourself to learn* or ghojmoH'egh *Teach
> yourself*
>
> In my opinion the latter, despite being grammatically incorrect, is
> easier to understand if you have learned ghojmoH as a separate word. It
> is not that much of a jump to assume it is a separate word which has
> been created for convenience rather than a construct.
>
> Words with -Ha' are not affected by the above postulation, but are they
> words in their own right too?
>
> Write Back.
> qelayn

Back to archive top level