tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 24 19:25:33 1997

Re: KLBC: to be or not to be

At 14:08 97-09-24 -0700, muHwI' wrote:
}ghItlh Qov:
}> You'd be in trouble if you tried to say "lunch is the dish the man
}> prepares" with this construction, but as long as the type 5 noun
}> suffix falls on the noun that is the head of the relative clause,
}> this works.
}
}So you mean this is incorrect? (it does sound weird, though)
}--> {megh 'oH nay''e' vutbogh loD}

I don't know that it is incorrect.  It *does* have the topic marker on the
subject noun.  Perhaps that {-'e'} can do double duty.  It doesn't actually
break any rules, it's just ... well ... um ...

}How would you say it? chay' Dajatlh SoH'e'?

I would recast the sentence to avoid it.  It does make more sense in English
and Klingon to say {megh vut loD}  "The man prepares lunch."

}Where must the type five suffix come at?
}nuqDaq 'oH mojaq vagh Daq'e'?

Literally: Where is the location of suffix number five.
I see you're practicing 'to be' sentences, just don't forget to consider
ways to say things that don't use to be.  Like {nuqDaq mojaq vagh vIlannIS}.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level