tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 04 04:09:32 1997

Re: KWP: Call for Manuscripts

Klingon Ambassador ([email protected]) wrote:

> Is the completion of the Postal Course a requirement for submitting
> manuscripts?

No.

> How many different manuscripts can one person submit?

We're not putting a limit on this, at this time. All submissions to the
KWP will reviewed for possible inclusion in a future issue of jatmey. If
some individuals start to flood us with innumerable submissions we will
elicit a string of appropriate replacement proverbs from the offenders
through the rigorous use of pain sticks.

> Is there a cutoff deadline by which all submissions are due?

Yes and No.

Obviously there is a time limit for submissions which will be included
in this winter's issue of jatmey. What is that deadline? I am not
inclined to provide such a date, because it might suggest that anything
submitted by such a deadline would then be guaranteed inclusion. This is
not the case. All submissions are not of equal quality, in terms of
literary merit, grammatical correctness, and even length. All of these
factors contribute to the decision.

In the larger sense though, the KWP is an ongoing project. If a
submission is wonderful but less than timely for inclusion in the
current issue, we'll be happy to hold on to it for the next one.
Further, as the volume and quality of KWP submissions continues to
increase, it is likely that the frequency of jatmey will similarly
increase.

> Is there a limit to the number of typos one manuscript can have before
> it is disregarded? :)

Ideally, yes: None. Realistically, all I can say is that proofreading a
work of fiction in a constructed language is difficult enough without
having to deal with typos every other word, particularly when the typos
form perfectly legitimate Klingon words.

Any editor of any publication will tell you that every typo encountered
raises a red flag. Enough flags go up and the editor has already made up
his/her mind about the piece. How many is too many? Hard to say. But why
run the risk? Proof your own prose before you submit it.

> May we submit original artwork to accompany our manuscripts?

This one is trickier. Thus far we have not included any artwork in
jatmey. That is not to say we will not. Original artwork may be
submitted along with the fiction (please be sure it conforms to the
KLI's Artist Guidelines), but due to space limitations it is unlikely to
be included unless particularly compelling.

Thank you for the questions.

Lawrence

--
:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::

Back to archive top level