tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 11:46:45 1997

paw valwI'na' (was Re: base 3)

At 09:26 97-10-23 -0700, valwI'na' wrote:

qaghovbe'mo' bIchu' 'e' vIloy. jabbI'IDghommaj yItIv.
As I don't recognize you, I'll guess you're new.  Welcome to our listserv.

It's been a while since I said: My name is Qov and I'm the Beginners'
Grammarian here.  My task is to answer beginners' questions with the
language and help you leaarn good Klingon.  If you want to make sure I look
at your questions or practice writing and give you my comments, put the
letters KLBC (Klingon Language Beginner's Contribution) in the subject line.

}valwI'na' jiH.

Don't forget to shift for {I}.  It's important, if you want your work to be
readable.  I imagine you've seen the recent discussion about whether you can
say {<name> jIH} for "I'm <name>."  Personally I think that it's the same as
in English, ambiguous but understandable.  Like when someone says "I'm
hungry" and you say "Pleased to meet you, hungry."  If I hadn't seen your
other message, signed valwI'na', I would have thought you were saying "I'm a
genuine smart guy."  Maybe that's what you meant.

}Hivqa' velargh!

{HIvqa' veqlargh}  Missed the {q} and the {I}.  This is something you say
when you make a mistake, to replace your lost honour.

} nuqneH, vISaH'a' nuqjatlh? {{;-) /*/
}(What, me worry?)

I'd translate this: "Heya, Do I care about it?  Say what?"

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level