tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 17 01:27:54 1997

RE: bIQ'a' Doq bIngDaq

ghItlh Anthony.Appleyard:
> In English a scuba diver can say "dive" = "be underwater" and "descend" for
> "while in the water, go deeper". In Klingon in the above case both alike
> would be {ghIr}, risking unclearness in the middle of fast action commands.

 jang "Neal Schermerhorn" <[email protected]>:-

> ... As I lack your experience as a SCUBA diver ... vocal utterances are
> impossible at 100 feet below the ocean's surface ... there may be
> voice-communication technology in the future of diving ...

  muQaHjaj qeylIS qa'! DISmey law'qu' taH bIQ-bIng ghogh QumwI' cham 'ej
taHpu'!! qar, <gag> rurmo' <scuba_dive>wI' motlh tlhuHwI' ngujlep, bIQ qoDDaq
jatlhlaHchu'be'. 'ach nujDaj qoDDaq 'oHmeH pagh'e' ngaSbogh mIv <full-face
mask> ghap ghajchugh, bIQ qoDDaq jatlhlaH.
  'oH bIQghor je muvchugh "yIntlhegh",  DISmey law'qu' yIntlhegh ghoSchu'
jatlhbogh 'ul baStlhegh [= telephone wire].
  DaH bIQ qoDDaq jatlhlaH vay' <ultrasound> <modulate>lu'bogh lo'.

> Secondly, we know that Klingons have a distaste for immersing themselves in
> water. ... if Klingons avoid swimming because it is too much like bathing,
> why would they ... Perhaps Klingons do not SCUBA dive as a rule ...

  Scuba diving is far different from beach bathing! Even if only for work,
they would have to dive some time. Admittedly, their rough skins and ridged
foreheads may make it difficult to make their diving masks seal airtight.

Back to archive top level