tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 16 13:03:15 1997

Re: bIQ'a' Doq bIngDaq

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony.Appleyard <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Saturday, November 15, 1997 11:32 AM
Subject: RE: bIQ'a' Doq bIngDaq

>  In English a scuba diver can say "dive" = "be underwater" and "descend"
for
>"while in the water, go deeper". In Klingon in the above case both alike
would
>be {ghIr}, risking unclearness in the middle of fast action commands. After
>c.300 scuba dives I appreciate such things.

"Dive" as scuba divers use it is specialized vocabulary.  I would expect
Klingons, if they have any interest in deep-sea exploration, would have
invented their own jargon.  Because KGT does not contain an "Underwater"
section in the chapter on Argot, we have no way of knowing what sort of
terms might be involved.

>  And re sea and land travel: how do people express the compass directions
>reasonably compactly (north, east, south, west)? They are not in TKD or
KGT.

KGT pp. 16-17 describes the direction of the Vospeg region from the First
City, and says "to use directional terms familiar to speakers of Federation
Standard."  This implies that the Klingon method of giving directions is
different than the north-south-east-west compass names we're used to.  One
might use numerical course bearings (veng wa'DIch wIghoSmeH He cha'vatlh
cha'maH vagh yInab), assuming Klingons use a 360 degree circle and that
their planet has what could be called a north pole.  We just don't know how
it's done.

SuStel
Stardate 97876.0

Back to archive top level