tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 08 18:35:54 1997

Re: base 3 (was RE: vIghojqa')

>Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 19:23:53 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Crowell <[email protected]>
>
>Euskara which happens to be spoken in northern Espa�a and south-western
>France, as well as Cymru language (spoken west England) use a 20-base
>system below a hundred. (However modern Cymru has been using a base-10
>system for a few decades now).

Erm, Modern Cymraeg (the language is Cymraeg) is spoken in Cymru,
a.k.a. Wales, which is TO THE WEST of England, but it is not Western
England.

I really don't think we have enough to go on to guess as to the numbering
system of ancient Klingon.  As to the fact that talking about 2*3+1 makes
it seem like a base-4 language, bear in mind that zero is a comparatively
recent invention.  Ancient speakers weren't modern mathematicians; it's
quite consistent to have a name for three even if it's your number-base
(English has a word for "ten", after all).

~mark

Back to archive top level