tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 09:22:33 1997

Re: More on "jIjatlh" et al.

lab Lawrence:

& Of course, as soon as I saw something like:
&
& tlhIngan Hol jIjatlh I said "Klingon language"
& and
& tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh I speak Klingon
&
& certain ideas crept into my head. What other verbs does this work
& with? Or to put it another way, what is it about direct quotations
& that makes this work?

What makes it work is that they are are direct quotations with the
word jatlh, and that Klingon has a special grammar for direct
quotations.

& For example, could I say:
&
& ngevwI' Hegh jIleghbe'
&
& to indicate that I have not yet seen the play "Death of a Salesman"?
&
& I don't know. And I'm hoping I've missed something in my skimming of
& the list and that wiser heads (aka, grammarians) will set me back on
& the true path.

pabpo'na' jIHbe', 'ach jIjeQtaHvIS bImuj jIjatlh.  (Oh that feels
good to write that without wondering about the grammar.) What you are
trying to do with verbs that are not jatlh is akin to trying to use
verbs that are not neH without using a relative pronoun.

<tlhIngan Hol jIjatlh> no more implies *<Batman Robyn je jIlegh>
 than <vIHoH vIneH> implies *<vIHoH vIparHa'>.

ghot vIpongbe'bogh DaDa, Lawrence. :)

 - Qov

Back to archive top level