tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 06:38:06 1997

Re: More on "jIjatlh" et al.

[email protected] on behalf of Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:

> Of course, as soon as I saw something like:
>
>      tlhIngan Hol jIjatlh    I said "Klingon language"
> and
>      tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh    I speak Klingon
>
> certain ideas crept into my head.  What other verbs does this work
> with?  Or to put it another way, what is it about direct quotations that
> makes this work?
>
> For example, could I say:
>
>      ngevwI' Hegh jIleghbe'
>
> to indicate that I have not yet seen the play "Death of a Salesman"?

I don't think this is the case.  Okrand specifically told us that this sort of
thing works for verbs of saying.  The point is that the quotation is not the
object; the sentence is complete without it.

It's *possible*, but I really think that it has to be a verb of saying.  The
name of a book or movie refers to that thing.

> Or what about:
>
>      cha' vengmey lut jIlaD
>
> to say that I have read "A Tale of Two Cities"?

"Moby Dick" vIlaDDI' rIntaH "cha' vengmey lut" vIlaD.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level