tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 04:35:37 1997

Re: pronunciation of tlh-H

One of the comments qoror made when he started this thread was that in
regard to the audio tape:

> "tlh" there sounds like just a "tl."

Which I think brings up an important point for folks who haven't had the
benefit (and excruciating hell) of going through a course on
international phonetics.  And that point is: there is a huge difference
between being able to *hear* a particular phoneme and being able to
*produce* it.

Some people have a very good ear, and once they learn to discriminate
subtle features readily detect the dental /t/ used by a native spanish
speaker which they never teach you in high school spanish (at least, they
didn't when I was growing up in southern California!).  These same
people, though they can hear minute differences, may be lousy at
producing the sounds themselves in anything approaching reliability.

The reverse situation is also quite common, particularly if you have a
good working knowledge of articulatory phonetics and a good coach.  I
recall quite a few students who had mastered the production of some very
difficult (for monolingual English speakers) phonemes, who could
consistently alternate between minimal pairs (i.e., two phonemes
differing in only a single feature, such as aspiration or voicing) but
who could not hear the difference that they *knew* they were making.

So when qoror says that the "tlh" of Klingon sounds to him like it's
really just "tl" I believe him.  Ironically perhaps, he illustrates the
point Okrand makes when he tells us that the Klingon word for themselves
doesn'ht begin with a "k" (or even a "q") sound, but something quite
different.  Human beings, regardless of your language community, when
presented with a novel sound (i.e., one that is not part of your native
repetoire) will try to make sense of it.  The cognitive processes that
make up speech recognition practically INSIST upon this, and so since
most dialects of English have neither voiceless "l" or "tl" clusters (and
we infer the same to be true of "Federation standard" for our purposes),
we instead map the sounds onto the next nearest thing which we *can*
hear, and you end up with "klingon."  qoror has accepted that it's an
initial "t" sound, but still doesn't have an ear for that darn voiceless
"l," and so is still only halfway there, hearing "tlingon."

This is not cause for concern or alarm.  Many professional linguists have
gone on record as requiring years to build up an ear for certain sounds.
 So, persevere.

And of course, you can come to the qep'a' loSDIch, where Mark Mandel has
agreed to repeat the truly excellent lecture he gave last year on the
articulatory phonetics of tlhIngan Hol.  In the absence of a native
speaker, there're aren't many better people to model your own speech on.

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
:: [email protected] ::   http://www.kli.org   :: 215/836-4955 ::

Back to archive top level