tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 31 05:00:11 1996

Re: Vocabulary help needed

Niall Hosking (aka Kserokhs Vaene) writes:
>I'm finding that the single biggest hold-up in my learning Klingon is
>knowing the vocabulary. Whilst I have a fair understanding of the
>grammar, I find that when I try and read posts, my attempts dissolve
>upon the myriad nouns and verbs I do not recognise straight out (as
>opposed to the suffixes).

That sounds normal. :-)

>I wanted to request some help from anyone who feels able and willing to
>aid me in learning vocabulary - any suggestions as to the best method
>are also welcome.

The "best method" is to keep looking up everything you don't immediately
recognize.  Your brain will quickly tire of the task and memorize things
in self-defense.

Practice!  Translate everything!  Put some real effort into it -- you'll
find that it pays off.  One of the biggest thrills I got when I was just
starting out was when I discovered I could read entire sentences without
having to resort to the dictionary.

If you don't mind slowing your progress a bit, you might try one of the
computerized dictionaries.  They make looking up words a lot easier (or
a lot less painful, which is not necessarily a good thing).

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level