tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 30 20:25:19 1996

Re: KLBC Changing of the guard

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:55:23 -0800 "Mark E. Shoulson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> toH, Qu' ta'laHbe'law' trI'Qal.  Do'Ha'.  quvbej ghaH, 'ej ghaH
> wItIchbe'qu'nIS.  tlhInganna' ghaH, 'ej pab Sovbej... 'ach yapba' poHDaj,
> and 'ej vI'taH Qu'Daj, jabbI'ID jangnISbogh je.

"and 'ej"? loQ choHaghmoH.

> vaj DaH taghwI'pu' pabpo'
> vInum: SuStel, batlh bIvangjaj.
>
> Everyone's noticed, I think, that poor trI'Qal simply hasn't been able to
> keep up with the load for KLBC...

Yes, she did quite a respectable job right up to the moment she
was buried alive. Honorably, of course.

> But the job must be
> done (and besides, it's *supposed* to be a rotating position), so it's time
> to move the yoke to another neck.  SuStel (David Trimboli) is
> dumb^H^H^H^Hcourageous enough to attempt the task.  May he discharge it
> honorably.

bIwIvchu'ta'! The Beginners' Grammarian role has several
functions, all of which are best served when the role is rotated.
While trI'Qal did a good job of functions like educating
beginners, she was not really qualified for the role of improving
her own skills through the quantity of KLBC demands and the
quality checks of more experienced Klingonists breathing down your
neck.

I see the role like a grad student TA. It is both a time to teach
and to learn. The hunger to hone your own skills is part of the
drive which allows you to handle the load. Once you've proven
yourself to yourself in this regard, the drive often weakens in
the face of the relentless demand. That is the natural force which
calls for a new grammarian. Sustel is ripe for this task. You
could see it at qep'a' wejDIch. There was a lot of "nudge, nudge,
wink, wink" by the Klingon elders whenever he walked near.
Clearly, he was a ripe fool^h^h^h^h candidate for the task.

> ~mark

charghwI'

Back to archive top level