tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 30 19:56:04 1996

Re: RE: KLBC: some translations

Good job, SuStel. One comment:

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:53:39 -0800 David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jatlh Adrian K (HurghwI'):
> >  "I forgot that I'm pretending that I'm not talking to you."
> >  SoHvad jIjatlhbe' jIH 'e' jIHvad jInep 'e' jIlIj.
>
> You got "I'm not talking to you" right (although you mis-capitalized a {D} or
> two).  {SoHvaD jIjatlhbe' jIH}.  Unfortunately, "pretend" is a concept I've
> often had trouble with in Klingon myself.  The answer usually lies in
> recasting the sentence.  I'm not sure if you can use {nep} "lie" in this
> capacity as you have (i.e. with an object), but I'll go with it for now.

I can't stop myself from recasting:

SoHvaD jatlhQo'bogh vay' vIDalaw' 'e' vIlIj.

"I forgot that I apparently behave in the manner of someone who
refuses to speak to you." Does that convey your intended meaning?
At least it evades {nep} as a transitive.

> SuStel
> Stardate 96832.3

charghwI'

Back to archive top level