tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 30 03:47:49 1996

Re: KLBC: subject, date and recipient

Qov wrote:
> The subject could be what (nuq:) you are talking about, the reason (meq:) or
> the label (per:) for the transmission.
When looking for "about" in a full sentence, many of us use the verb
{qel} "consider, take into account".  {qel} by itself can mean "it
considers", so that might work for "subject".

> Recipient (HevwI':) could also be whom it's for ('IvvaD:) or maybe it
> transmits to his/her location (lI':).
I don't like {lI'} here . . . it's too vague.  "Transmits" doesn't imply
to me "the recipient of the transmission".  {HevwI'} works well; the
possible English confusion with a "receiver" *device* is mitigtaed by
the existence of {HablI'} for that meaning in Klingon.

> The date on a letter could be the time (poH:), when (ghorgh:) it was
> sent,or the day (jaj:)
I'm not sure {poH} works for "point in time"; it refers to a "period of
time".  Although that's probably splitting some nigh-microscopic hairs;
what is the timestamp if not a label for the period of time in which the
event happens?

In general, I like the question-word approach toward header field
labeling.  It feels very direct and Klingonlike.  Klingon memo:

'Iv: Hoch
nuq: qep
ghorgh: wa'leS

I doubt there would even be a message body. :)

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed		| http://issl.atl.hp.com/lab/employees/mark
Email: [email protected]     |           HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level