tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 28 09:28:37 1996

More FAQ problems

juppu'wI'

I was just formulating something along the lines of a "thought for the day"
which was "The words that Okrand doesn't speak cause us trouble".

{maHvaD Seng mu'mey'e' jatlhbe'bogh *Okrand*} (right or wrong, I don't know)

Perhaps I should just use "use" instead of jatlh. But still, ~mark's bit on
{-bogh} in the FAQ (section 4.1) confuses me.

I shall quote.

---

Okrand talks about {yaS vIleghbogh} being "the officer whom I see" and
{muleghbogh yaS} being "the officer who sees me".

This led us early on to wonder about how to say "the officer whom the child
hit" as opposed to "the officer who hit the child".

The method we use, which I believe is one of the only extensions we know to
be sanctioned by Okrand himself, is to flag the "head" noun with {-'e'},
yielding {yaS'e' qIppu'bogh puq} and {yaS qIppu'bogh puq'e'}.

---

I misunderstand.

Using the previous example of "officer sees.." one moves the nouns depending
on the meaning as well as flagging with {-'e'}.

So my interpretation of "the officer who hit the child" (second bit of
paragraph two) would be {puq qIppu'bogh yaS'e'}

I think the intended examples (where just the {-'e'} moves) should be

{yaS'e' qIppu'bogh puq}  "the officer whom the child hit" (same as FAQ)
{yaS qIppu'bogh puq'e'}  "the child who hit the officer"  (different)

If I am truly confused the let me know but if I'm right then should the FAQ
actually read

"This lead us early on to wonder about how to say 'the officer whom the
 child hit' as opposed to 'the child who hit the officer'"

Oh, and if my questions brought up by the FAQ annoy anyone then let me know
too and I'll shut up {{:-)

I realise that my wibbling is eating quite some bandwidth at the moment ...

nI'jaj yInlIj, 'ej batlh bIHeghjaj.

Qorbeq

--

|  http://www.parallel.demon.co.uk   |          "Still a newbie!"          |