tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 27 16:11:26 1996

Re: New subscriber

>Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:12:44 -0700
>From: "Donald E. Vick" <[email protected]>
>
>> I am new to tlhIngan and have read the dictionary and listened to the
>> language tape.  I want to write a tlhIngan Opera.
>>
>> Without going into too much detail, the general story involves Romulans, the
>> reason why they have bad haircuts, and feklar.
>    Bring it on!  Just don't try to write in English and translate it.  That is
>10 times harder than writing in Hol first.

Good advice... But also a word of caution may be in order.  It's certainly
possible you're an exception, but I get a funny feeling when I read "I'm
new to the language.... I want to write a tlhIngan Opera."  You don't start
with an Opera when you're new to the language; it's just asking for
trouble.  You probably should work at least a little on simpler things;
short stories, maybe a journal or something.  Be careful not to bite off
more than you can chew.

~mark

Back to archive top level