tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 27 14:03:21 1996

Re: a quick question

>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:23:33 -0700
>From: "Deborah Kay" <[email protected]>

>I am writing a story where one of my characters will need to ask for
>permission to speak.  I was listening to the section in PK which deals with
>using "neS."  I thought the following is what I heard for "permit me to
>explain my mistake, your honor" - QaghwIj vIQIj 'e' yIchaw'neS.  Does that
>mean that "permit me to speak" would be jIjatlh 'e' yIchaw'?  Can I make this
>into an interrogative sentence?  For example, Do I have your permission to
>speak?  jIjatlh 'e' Dachaw''a'?

Makes sense to me.  "jIjatlh."/I speak.  "jIjatlh 'e' Dachaw'"/You permit
that I speak.  "jIjatlh 'e' yIchaw'"/permit me to speak.  "jIjatlh 'e'
Dachaw'a'"/do you permit me to speak?  "jIjatlh 'e' yIchaw'neS"/permit me
to speak, your honor.

~mark

Back to archive top level