tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 23 15:38:34 1996

Re: Words from the wild (was Re: Par'Mach is ...)

Steve Wolfson wrote:

> > > To me it is just jibberish, but maybe someone could come up with a
> > > reasonable explanation as to why it appears to say "small dislike". I can
> Well it actually might fit in Klingon culture pretty well.  Klingons have been
> shown to have a sense of humor, trading barbs with Riker.
[...]
> Also some couples  enjoy  talking "dirty" to each other during lovemaking.
> So I could see how only a "small dislike" would fit either of these with Klingon flair
> and sense of hunmor as a slang or colloquial term for "love" or in this case love mixed with lust.

I thought of that also. The first thing I came up with (in my mind) was:
Klingons aren't THAT nice to eachother!
What I mean to say is, Klingons are supposed to rather say "I hate you"
than "I love you". So if one would say "I only dislike you a little", he
would actually say "I want to spend the rest of my life (in bed) with
you". Or am I reading the yab tlhIngan wrongly here?

Thorwald Peeters

Back to archive top level