tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 23 12:34:29 1996

Re: Words from the wild (was Re: Par'Mach is ...)

At 06:55 PM 10/22/96 -0700, alan weiner wrote:
>Could not par'Mach (and it should be par'mach, shouldn't it?) be an
>old expression that *used* to be something like par'mach'be'qu'?  If
>I've got that right, I'm saying "dislike small not emphatic" or
>"strongly the opposite of disliking a little" i.e, liking a lot.  I'm
>presuming that over time it became colloquial into par'mach.  It might
>even have been a two-word phrase   par  mach'be'qu'  that evolved into
>the single-word-double-verb par'mach  -- the apostrophe being
>evolved-in to distinguish it as a double-word.
>
>Sure seems like an easy out, but seems logical (damn vulqan blood in
>these veins!)...

Cannot be. As far as we know of tlhIngan Hol, we cannot put an apostrophe
between two consonants. Besides, how would you pronounce it? It would be the
exact same as if you didn't have it in there (except maybe a slight delay
between the two syllables). It just doesn't seem logical to me for tlhIngan
Hol to just shoot an apostrophe in between a compound word (or in this case,
an ILLEGAL compound word) to distinguish the parts. Do you see in <nuqneH>
an apostrophe? <nuq'neH>? No, doesn't seem right in tlhIngan Hol. Besides,
the apostrophe signifies a glottal stop -- it IS pronounced and therefore
should not be used just to distinguish a compound word. In any other
language (as far as I know), we do not pronounce spaces (which are there to
distinguish words). And besides, tlhIngapu' will know what words are
compound and which are not (i.e. as English natives know what are compound
and what are not).

vuvnISqu'lu'
tlhIngan De' chu'vaD:
http://www.spectranet.ca/~dviper/tlhIngan