tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 21 05:36:31 1996

Re: Translation for Thunder

[email protected] writes:
>Would someone please translate the word " thunder"

It's not that easy.  If the word isn't in the dictionary, there isn't
always a trivial translation.  This is true when one tries to translate
between any two languages.

In this case, the best suggestion I can come up with is to *describe*
what you mean by "thunder" -- is it the sudden compression of air due
to a rise in temperature because of an atmospheric discharge of static
electrical charges?  Is it the sound that results from that compression?
Is it the sharp "crack" from a nearby lightning bolt, or is it the
extended rumble from one far away?  Decide what exactly you mean each
time you want to say "thunder", and get specific.

Of course, you're probably trying to translate your pseudonym. :-)
I don't think you'll like how wordy the translation will get, so it
might be better to pick a different pseudonym to translate.  There
are other words that are related to inclement weather; perhaps you
can base a Klingon name on one of them instead.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level