tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 16 19:59:09 1996

Re: "The ship is made of metal"

peHruS wrote:
>I want to learn how to say "The ship's hull is made of metal."

~mark suggested:

Adrian K writes:
>I am relatively new to Klingon, but it seems that there is a better
>translation than the cumbersome one offered by Mark Shoulson.

Cumbersome?  Maybe I'm just used to the way we've historically said
things like this, but "metal is used to make the ship's hull" seems
right on target to me.

>I was thinking
>that if you can say "Metal composes that ship" in English you might be able
>to say it in Klingon.

Depending on how well you defined "compose", it might work okay.

>I just am not sure what is the appropriate word to use
>for "composes" or "makes up." I was thinking something like ngoSHa', ghom,
>Qaw'Ha', or anything else like this, to make "baS ngoSHa' Duj'e'". Is this a
>feasible solution?

I don't see any of these having the right meaning.  {Qaw'Ha'} and {ngoSHa'}
both imply something a lot more "active" than I think the idea ought to be.
{ghom} "meet, assemble" isn't opposite of {lagh} "take apart, disassemble".
{laghHa'} would be "put together, assemble" -- but it's still not the right
meaning as I see it.

Because there isn't a word for "be made of" or "make up" in the dictionary,
I can't find a better way to say it than the sentence ~mark suggested.
"In order to cause the ship's hull to take form, one used metal."  Perhaps
it looks cumbersome in English, but it seems perfectly natural :) to me in
Klingon.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level