tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 16 09:18:13 1996

Macchiaveli translation

Donald Vick translated:

> no'vo' law' yoS Hevlu' pagh chu' yoS.
> One receives a country from many ancestors, or else it is new.

>     Here was another short phrase that got long in the process, the
>     idea of "hereditary."

Misleading translation: Nic talks about new *principalities*; the country
may be old, but what is new is the country being run by that particular
prince. I recommend using wo' instead of yoS (which isn't that good for
'country' anyway.)

I'd have translated this as:

wo' DevchoHmeH, quHna' tuqvo' cho'laH vay'; pagh, chu'laH wo'.

> rut chu'chu' yoSmey chu'.
> Sometimes new countries are completely new.
> *mIlan, *verancheSqo *SorSa je wIqelDI', ghu'vam wIlegh.
> When we consider Milan and Francesco Sforza, this situation we see.
> rut 'oH tlhap no'vo' latlh yoS Hevbogh che'wI'.
> Sometimes a ruler who received a country from his ancestors takes it.
> *neypuS, *Speyn vodleH je wIqelDI', ghu'vam wIlegh.
> When we consider Naples and the king of Spain, this situation we see.

Again, the translation is needlessly confusing; in this particular case, the
'oH is the (plural!) new countries. I'd suggest:

rut chu'chu' qo'vetlh chu'; Milan, F. Sforza je qellu'.
'a rut, cho'bogh che'wI' wo'Daq qo'vetlh muvmoHlu' neH.

--
Nick Nicholas  Linguistics, Uni. Melbourne  Dera me xhama t"e larm"e,
[email protected]       Dera mbas blerimit

Back to archive top level