tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 15 16:31:28 1996

Re: <Qapla'!> (was: Re: nuq?)

At 12:18 PM 10/15/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Looks like time to remind people -- or inform them, for those who haven't
>heard (of) it -- about Okrand's interview on NPR (that's the U.S. National
>Public Radio network).
>
>After discussion of Klingon, how M.O. had come to be involved with it,
>what it was about, and so on, the time ran out, and the interview ended
>about like this (from memory):
>
>     ****************
>
>Q: Well, we have to wrap this up now. Tell me, Dr. Okrand, how does a
>Klingon say goodbye?
>
>A: He doesn't. When he's finished his business he just leaves.
>	(sound of chair scraping across floor)
>	(sound of footsteps walking away)
>	(sound of door opening, a few more footsteps, door closing)
>
>Q: And... that's Dr. Marc Okrand, the inventor of the Klingon language.
>
>     ******************
>
>Although we have plenty of ideas that we don't know how to express in
>Klingon (HIHarHa': I took down and typed up the Wish List at the qep'a'
>wejDIch!), we seldom have positive canonical evidence that no
>expression exists in Klingon for a given concept. But here we do. Here is
>unequivocal canon stating that
>	KLINGONS DON'T SAY GOODBYE

In the same interview Dr. Okrand, in explaining the pronunciation of
<Q> say "...Qapla', means "success". which has become used as a general hail."

So, there are those points that Okrand enforces and those points that
Paramount enforces. They don't necessarily agree.

 David Barron                    ||           lup Hoch yIyInqu'
 Klingon Language Postal Course  ||           qaStaHvIS wa' lup
 P.O. Box 37, Eagle ID 83616     ||        yInpu' wa'netlh yInmey
 It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope. Not available by E-mail!
  E-mail   [email protected]        Finger me for more details.

Back to archive top level