tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 14 19:33:19 1996

Re: nuq?

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996 15:03:12 -0700 Susan Farmer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >ghItlh tevram:
> >>I always assumed that Qapla' was the klingon equivalent of Aloha and Shalom.
> >
> >*snort*
> >
> >You *do* know what Aloha and Shalom mean *literally*, don't you?
> >
> >"Peace."
> >
> >There's quite a different mindset implied between "peace" and "success".
> >I sincerely doubt any equivalency is anything more than superficial. ;-)
> >
> >-- ghunchu'wI'
> >

> Yes, I know what they *really* mean.  What I meant was the "one word fits
> all" concept that aloha and shalom have.  Hello, Goodbye, How are you doing,
> whatever -- not the literal meaning.
>
> tevram

Unfortunately for that theory, Okrand has explained that {Qapla'} is not
a replacement for "goodbye". It is a word reserved for ending a
significant conversation with warriors about to go to battle or
otherwise set off for some mission of significance. We already overuse
it to casually say, "goodbye" every time we want to politely end a
conversation. Now you suggest we overuse it even more to OPEN
conversations.

I begin to imagine Klingons serving tea in little tiny, delicate china,
perhaps sticking crumpets and other hors
d'however-you-spell-those-little-toy-sandwiches stuck on the claws on
the back of their gauntlets. "Kalaaaa! Kaplaaa! How truely wonderful to
see you again. Well, I really must be going. Kapla for now."

wejpuH.

pItlh.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level