tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 12 19:04:20 1996

Re: excrement?

>Help I need to know is there a word for
>excrement or any version there of?  I want
>to say something along the lines of :
>	The &^%$ hit the fan!
>
>may'qal ro'

AFAIK, there's no such word in tlhIngan Hol. Perhaps Klingon physiology is
radically different from our own! :-)

There are a couple of options if you're open to klingonaase, however. In
_The Final Reflection_, John Ford uses <gagny> and <gdaya> (and it's
variant <gday't>), both without any translation. From context it is clear
that both are mild expletives and are frequently used by his Klingons.
Some fans have translated these as "Damn!" or "Shit!"

Ann Schwayder has continued to work with Ford's Klingon universe in her
novels and short stories, and has coined the word <gozhe> for "feces,
excrement" as a noun.  BTW, she also informs us that <gozhe> is slang for
"inspirational media" (i.e. the Empire's propaganda organs) at the Star
Academy (the Klingon equivalent of Starfleet Academy).

Voragh

 Steven L. Boozer              | The fact that an opinion has been widely
 University of Chicago Library | held is no evidence whatever that it is
 [email protected]   | 		      -- Bertrand Russell

Back to archive top level