tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 11 08:06:20 1996

Re: KLBC: Motto

In message <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:
> We came, We saw, We conqured!
>
> mapawta' maleghta' macharghta'

I haven't seen any grammarian's response to that so far.
Maybe I missed it. Anyway, I'd like to ask some questions
regarding the interpretation of this.

i) I assume that the Klingon rendering implies - as the
English - that the actions occur in sequence. Now does
the {-ta'} there mean, that the first action was completed
before the next _began_ or just before the next one was
_completed_? (as opposed to e.g. {mapawta' 'ej maleghta'
'ej macharghta'})

ii) can one _intentionally_ "see" s.th.? i.e. does {legh}
encompass meanings like "observe" or "watch"?

HomDoq

Back to archive top level