tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 11 07:30:37 1996

Re: jInajpu'

>Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 21:11:36 -0700
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>peHruS writes:

I'm going to comment on more of peHruS' words privately to him, for now I'm
just going to remark on ghunchu'wI''s comments.

>>Daj = experiment (v)

>The meaning "test inconclusively" is quite specific.  Perhaps some uses
>of "experiment" might fit it, but certainly not all.  Your translation
>would be an unwarranted expansion of the existing idea.

I think it's pretty close, actually.  Though it implies that the experiment
was inconclusive.  {tob} is also "experiment", with a different goal or
result implied.

>>chIj = drive (a car, e.g.) (v)

>If you said "navigate a car" I would understand it, but I would infer an
>emphasis on determining the course.  (That is, of course, if there were
>a simple word for "car"...)

I kind of like it, actually.

>>QeDmey = curricula [qunQeD, mI'QeD, chutQeD, wIchQeD, etc.] (n)

>With the exception of {wIchQeD}, these all make reasonable sense without
>having to invoke a new interpretation of {QeD}.  But what am I supposed
>to understand the oxymoronic "myth-science" to mean?

The science of studying myths?  Mythology?  Maybe even religion?

>>-vI' = decimal-type accumulator factor (suffix)

>Aside from this being another one of the single-example extrapolations,
>we actually have canon that contradicts it:  {cha'maH vagh vatlhvI' Hong}
>for "one quarter impulse power".

Don't forget chetvI'.  Maybe I can think of a way to interpret these that
combines both meanings.  But I doubt it. :)

>>luQ = straight (sv)

>I don't have a clue as to what reasoning brought *this* suggestion.

DungluQ("noon").  I think of "luQ" as reminding me of "laQ" which in turn
makes me think of fire, and think of the fiery sun in the area-above,
overhead.  That's personal mnemonic, though, no derivation.

>>(NOTE:  yesh lelashon 'ivrit "chet".)

>Whatever.

It's Hebrew, but I'm not sure what he means.  "The Hebrew language has
'chet'"... but reading "ch" as "H" or Klingon "ch" doesn't give me a
meaningful word in Hebrew (Het is a letter, Heit is a word for sin, and the
Klingon ch sound doesn't exist in native Hebrew) or in Klingon.  jImISchu'.

~mark

Back to archive top level