tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 09 18:04:31 1996

Re: "Picture" or "Display"

Dark Viper writes:
>I can't seem to find a word for "picture" or "display" as nouns (would cha'
>suffice?).

Lacking canon, we simply aren't justified using verbs as nouns or vice versa.
Anyway, {cha'} already has a noun-like meaning, as the number "two".

What kind of "display" are you trying to describe?  We have the two words
{HaSta} "visual display" and {lIy} "tactical display" given in TKD.  There
are also some phrases from the ST:Klingon CD-ROM (reprinted in HolQeD 5:1):

{quv bey'} "Honor Display"
{betleH bey'} "Bat'telh display"
{nuH bey'} "Pride of Weapons"

The last one suggests that {bey'} alone isn't literally "display", though.

Don't ignore {much} "presentation".  It most likely refers to an action
rather than an object, but it might be what you want.

Of course, the best option is usually to rephrase the idea to avoid having
to deal at all with the problem of missing vocabulary.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level