tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 09 08:13:25 1996

Re: help with this.

>I'm just starting out at learning tlhIgan Hol and was wondering about the following simple phrase.
>
>I wanted to translate 'target the engines' to tlhIgan and came up with the following:
>
>DoS QuQ
>
>I understand this translates to target engine so If I added -pu' to give {QuQpu'}, does this give me the plural.?

Short answer: No

Longer answer: {DoS} is a noun you could use it if you were saying "the
target is the engine".  The correct _verb_ is {puS} [to aim or train, as
in train a gun].

Furthermore, {-pu'} is only the plural for nouns describing beings capable
of language (not including talking computers unless of the high order of
intelligence of Data).  The correct plural form is {-mey}.

Furthermore, the correct word order, in Klingon, is object-verb-(subject
-- but there isn't a separate subject in this case).  So, the object comes
first, followed by the verb.

Therefore the correct translation of, what I assume is an order to be
issued to your crew, "Target the engines!" is {QuQmey puS}.  Note that
this is in "clipped klingon", i.e., the informal speech used in the heat
of battle.  The more formal version would require the use of a verb suffix
to indicate the imperative, thus {QuQmey yIpuS}.

Qapla'

qrlIH veStaySortlhIH Sogh la'       Lt. Commander K'rlikh Vestai-Shor-Klikh
tlhIngan wo' Duj qIj leng rawI'     Commanding Officer, IKV Black Odyssey
Qanpu' pogh DuQ cha'DIch ra wI'     Deputy C.O., Mailed Glove Squadron

a.k.a.

--
Denny Shortliffe

Back to archive top level