tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 07 14:47:26 1996

Re: DI'vI' Hol

96-10-06 22:50:52 EDT, jatlh ghunchu'wI':

> I don't see a problem with conflating the ideas
>  "do it, then stop, then do it again" and "do it once, then do it again".

Maybe there isn't one.

>  TKD's translation of {vInejqa'} says "I am resuming the search, I am
>  searching for him/her again" -- it looks like {-qa'} handles both of them.

I don't like this example, because "searching" isn't something which you do
instantaneously.  It requires a period of time, whether short or long, and
I'm wondering if {-qa'} is referring to an action which requires a change of
state.

For a better example (I *think*), let's take {bach}.  If I say {jIbach}, then
it's something that happens.  Now, let's assume that I only do this one time
{wa'logh jIbach}.  Then, if I shoot again, and I only want to refer to the
second time I shoot, we'd be using {jIbachqa'DI'}.  But the act of shooting
takes no time (and I'm neglecting the time it takes to pull the trigger,
because I'm talking about taking another shot, not starting to pull the
trigger, stopping, and starting to pull again).  Is "shooting once" an act
which can stop and then start again?  I'm not talking about taking lots of
shots, just one and then another.  Whaddya think?

>  So what if it's not necessarily clear which one you mean?

Actually, I'm not worried about any vagueness inherent in the suffix.  In
fact, this flexibility of meaning makes for some great puns, which you,
ghunchu'wI', and I are very aware of!

SuStel
Stardate 96769.0

Back to archive top level