tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 06 19:33:49 1996

Re: DI'vI' Hol

ghItlh SuStel:
>P.S.: Nope, I can't come up with any other way to express doing something
>again besides [-qa'].  This is bad.  This is very bad.

Why is it bad?  {-qa'} is given as "do again, resume" in the affix lists
at the end of TKD.  While its primary meaning is apparently "resume" as
stated in section 4.2.3, I don't see a problem with conflating the ideas
"do it, then stop, then do it again" and "do it once, then do it again".
TKD's translation of {vInejqa'} says "I am resuming the search, I am
searching for him/her again" -- it looks like {-qa'} handles both of them.

So what if it's not necessarily clear which one you mean?  {-Daq} doesn't
have a single obvious translation either.  In?  On?  At?  It's not really
a problem unless you really have to go into more detail than the language
provides, and the only times I've ever wanted such detail is when I was
translating from something that was composed in English to begin with.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level