tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 06 12:53:59 1996

Boggle word game

The re-emergance of Scrabble as a discussion topic prompted me to dig up the
work I did on a Klingon version of the word game Boggle.

For those who don't know, Boggle is a game with 16 6-sided dice with letters on
them.  These dice are cast and the players have three minutes to produce as
many words as possible.

I've workd out what I think is a good distribution. I'm not proficient enough
to play-test this so I present it for your exploration:

tlhIngan Hol *Boggle*

16 6-sided dice with the following letter distributions:

  H   j   u   u   m   n
  a   j   m   b  ch   y
  a   '   '   m   w   r
  a   a   I   u   v   l
  a   a   H   n   Q   y
  a   j   m   D   w   r
  a   a   e   e   u   t
  H   I   u   l  tlh  Q
  '   o   I   l  gh  tlh
  o   j   b  ch  ng   q
  e   o   H   v  gh  gh
  a   '   H   p   D   I
  e   v   S   q   j   H
  '   '   I   D  gh   e
  a   '   o   I   p   S
  e   o   o   q   S  ng

Dice are rolled.  (The original game has a convenient box to contain all the
dice but this is not necessary.)  Players have 3 minutes to combine the letters
into as many words as possible.

Scoring:
3 letter words :  1 point
4 letter words :  2 points
5 letter words :  4 points
6 letter words :  8 points
7 letter words : 16 points
8 letter words : 32 points
   etc.

There should be some extra scoring for making sentences and even more for
multiple-word sentences.

Suggestions?  Comments?

       Lt.Cmdr. Kordite, Executive Officer
     IKV Dark Justice, Klingon Assault Group