tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 06 06:19:28 1996

Re: choHghoS

ghItlh SuStel:
>Better, sure.  But what would have been appropriate would be {HItlhej}.

"Accompany me."  "Join me." "Be with me."  *Maybe* "Come with me."
I'm not so sure this is an appropriate phrasing for the context.

> Sisko isn't trying to tell them to approach him.  He's trying to tell them
>to follow him.

{HItlha'}  "Chase me."  "Follow me."
Closer, but I don't like the way it implies the "chase" idea.

>My guess is that the powers-that-goof at Paramount were
>trying to have him say, "Come!"

{Ha'}  "Let's go!"  "Come on!"  Isn't this what {Ha'} is for? :-)

>They actually did an impressive job, in
>realizing that a verb prefix was needed.  Unfortunately, {ghoS} isn't the
>word they wanted, and they got the prefix wrong.

They got it doubly wrong.  {cho-} isn't imperative, and it applies to a
*single* recipient.  {tu-} would have been marginally better, and perhaps
I could rationalize it as a prompt to follow a step in a prearranged plan.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level