tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 06 04:11:50 1996

DI'vI' Hol

Since the language of the Federation is "Federation Standard", I think that
<<DI'vI' Hol>> is a good rendering of "Federation Language".

tlhIngan Hol = Klingon language
verengan Hol = Ferengi language

DI'vI' Hol = Federation language
vulqan Hol = Vulcan language
romuluS Hol = Romulan language

I know there has probably been much discussion in the past about the <<-ngan>>
suffix as it relates to tlhIngan.  My guess the same rule may applies to
verengan.  In both cases the words seem to apply not just to a "person", but
to the race as a whole.  With <<DI'vI'>>, <<vulqan>>, and <<romuluS>> the use
of the suffix <<-ngan>> seem specific to the person, while the root words
themselfs reply to the races.

This makes me lean toward the above usage of the languages rather than:

DI'vI'ngan Hol = Federation language
vulqangan Hol = Vulcan language
romuluSngan Hol = Romulan language

I know that they had at one time thought to call the planet <<tlhIn>>,
therefore the reasoning <<tlhIngan>>.  Makes you think they may want (or
wanted) to call the Ferengi Homeworld <<veren>>.

It's late I should probably be in bed and this is probably rambling.  maj ram!

Back to archive top level