tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 05 21:42:35 1996

RE: nuq?

>At 07:29 AM 10/4/96 -0700, Chet Braun wrote:
>>I posted what I heard a few days ago. It sounded like [yoneS 'etlh]
>>I think they used "Order of the bat'leth" later.  I got the impression it
>>was different that "Brotherhood of the Sword".
>
>It sounded (phonetically) like this: "The yan (pause) esleth". As you have
>written it, I too believe the 'esleth' is actually 'etlh. But the "yan" or
>"yoneS" is new.
>
>--Dark Viper-----------------------------

Just saw it this afternoon and taped it. The "Brotherhood of the Sword"
is Chancellor Gowron's personal security force (bodyguards). The "Order of
the bat'leth" was the medal Gowron was awarding--"the highest honor that
can be bestowed upon a Klingon!"

The closed captions (which are usually all caps) read "YAN-ISLETH", so I
would render it something like "yan'IS 'etlh". As I understand the
procedure, Paramount supplies copies of its scripts to the Closed
Captioning Institute when they add the captions to the tape. So this is
probably not just a transcription of what the captioner heard.

We've heard that the actors are often left to figure out the pronunciation
of "alien" words in the scripts themselves. I imagine that most have no
idea how to pronounce "tlh", so this can easily turn into "leth" or
"ettle".  What "YAN-IS" is supposed to be is anyone's guess. I wonder
if they were trying to use the "-neS" honorific suffix on something.

For the record, Sisko does say "CHO'GHOS!" to his team after they beam
down to "TY'GOKOR". (Looks like one of the writers looked up the right
verb, found the verb prefix table on page 32 of TKD, but didn't notice the
note on imperative prefixes on the very next page.)  Worf urges on the
three Klingon wannabes: "Come. We must celebrate. T'KAH!"  Worst of all,
the four "warriors" salute Gen. Martok with mugs of "bloodwine" (one
word) and "Q'APLA!" Changeling/Martok replies "Q'APLA!" (This is
definitely a greeting.)

For what it's worth.

Voragh

Back to archive top level