tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 31 17:31:15 1996

Re: Hallmark commercial ?

On 31 May 96 at 6:48, Rob. [nuqHm] Newcombe wrote:
>> What on KronoS is/was the Hallmark commercial ?
>
>Hallmark sells Star Trek theme ornaments at Christmas.  A year or so
>ago, their top offering was a toQDuj.  The television commercial for
>it featured Gowron and several of his crew, and was done in tlhIngan
>Hol with subtitles.
>
>Garrett Michael Hayes

Though I was briefly off-list when this commercial aired in the US, I
remember hearing that Okrand did the tlhIngan Hol for it though he wasn't
there to coach the actors. This may explain why Robert O'Reilly's lines
(whom Okrand had coached in the past) were fairly well done, but the two
other actors were allowed by the director and TPTB to fall into "Paramount
dialect" (i.e. gibberish).

Anyone know for certain?

Steven

 Steven L. Boozer            |  Who adheres slavishly to the order of words
 Univ. of Chicago Library    |  or sentences in the original will meet with
 --------------------------- |  much difficulty;  his rendering will be
 [email protected] |  faulty and untrustworthy.      (Maimonides)

Back to archive top level