tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 20 19:38:13 1996

Re: KLBC: Greetings

Alan Anderson writes:

> The placement of the suffix
> {-be'} on {maHlaw'taHbe'} is a bit strange; it is negating {-taH},
> so it appears to be saying "non-continuously".  I expect you wanted
> to negate the root verb itself: {maHbe'law'taH}.  I'd probably say
> either {maSaHbe'law'} or {maDachlaw'} for this meaning.

You are correct, I did intend to negate the root verb.  Though I was concerned
with suffix order, it seems I had a lapse regarding the rover.

> {ghoghqonwI'} has an obvious meaning; I like it a lot, but it would
> probably work just as well if it were two separate words.

I did consider using two separate word for this one, but as I was just enjoying
a playful romp in the forest of tlhIngan Hol, I opted for the compound noun.
While on the subject of compound nouns, what are the guidlines for them?  The
treatment in TKD (3.2.1) is pretty scant.  Are there some additional rules or
commonly accepted practices regarding their formation?

Brian D. Murphy
[email protected]

Back to archive top level