tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 13 15:57:40 1996

Re: tugh muSuch jup chu'

In a message dated 96-05-13 09:52:02 EDT, charghwI' wrote (concerning using
'e' for joining relative clauses):

>Simple. You can't. If we take the explanation given in TKD, we
>have to interpret Sentence As Object in Klingon as literally
>two separate complete sentences with one acting as the object
>of the other. A relative clause is NOT a complete sentence. It
>is part of a larger complete Klingon sentence.

I agree with you in that it shouldn't be done, but I don't think it can be
solved by using strict interpretation of what is said in TKD.  Remember,
until the Addendum, we always hear things like adverbials "usually come at
the beginning of a sentence," etc.  Those rules were written without concern
for more complex sentences.  Another example: conjunctions like {'ej} and
{qoj} supposedly "join sentences," but Okrand uses them to join relative
clauses in TKW.

Despite this, I still think that {'e'} SHOULD refer to a sentence, not a
relative clause.  If only for my sanity when I try to read it!

SuStel
Hovjaj 96366.7

Back to archive top level