tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 07 17:14:53 1996

Re: My name [KLBC]

Andre writes:
>          I just put KLBC at the back of the subject. I saw this in a
>          message to Geoff. I now know that I'm not the only beginner here.
>          But this is one of the ways to learn quick (I guess)

Yep.  You've found what I think is the single best resource in the known
universe for learning the Klingon language.

>          I'd like to choose a name in klingon and was thinking of the
>          following: { jIbtIqwI' } or in other words 'the one with long
>          hair' (because I have long hair on my head I guess)

Well, {jIbtIqwI'} kind of means "the hair's long one" instead.  You can't
just go tossing words and suffixes together without taking into account
the grammar.  There's a correct way to say "the one with long hair" --
{jIb tIq ghajwI'}, literally "haver of long hair."  But for names, we
regularly ignore both grammar and spelling conventions.

>          Before I 'take' this name I'd like to know if it correct. Any one
>          here?

We already have someone who calls himself DaQtIq on the list; maybe you'd
like to consider your name a bit longer.  In fact, that's a good idea for
anyone who's trying to come up with a name.  Don't jump at the first thing
that comes into your head.  Sit back a while.  Get comfortable with the
sound of the name.  If I were to choose a name today, it would very likely
have fewer syllables than {ghunchu'wI'} does.

>          Let me hear from you folks.

Of course, the final say is yours and yours alone.  It's *your* name, and
it can be *anything* you want it to be.  It doesn't have to mean anything
in particular, and it doesn't even have to be spelled like other Klingon
words.