tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 03 08:59:47 1996

Re: New words in HolQeD 5.1

According to Alan Anderson:

> David Barron writes:
> >I am assuming that these new words in HolQeD are
> >all nouns. But my big question is in the word
> >{lopno'} /party.  Noun, right?
>
> Since the verb {lop} "celebrate" would carry the meaning of "party"
> as a verb, I also guess that {lopno'} is a noun.  But there are the
> slightly ambiguous {vItHay'} and {nalqaD} and the perhaps ambiguous
> {chontay}.  {botjan yIchu'} is the only one of the bunch that most
> certainly is *not* a noun -- it's a complete sentence.  I guess we
> have to "participate in" the CD-ROM in order to find out for sure.

One other piece of evidence to weigh in is that almost all
polysyllabic Klingon words are nouns. There are very few verb
roots that are more than one syllable long, like {HoSghaj}. It
is unlikely that Okrand is suddenly making all his new verbs
polysyllabic.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'
--
reH lugh charghwI' net Sov.

Back to archive top level