tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 30 19:03:46 1996

"translate X into Klingon"

A common question here is

	How do I say "I translated X into Klingon?"

When responding to Lawrence's request for translations of an introductory
text about the KLI, I came up with a solution that I have since
simplified. I think this works pretty well, and I'd like your opinions on
it:

	tlhIngan Hol mojmeH X vImughpu'

It's a bit weird because it's syntactically ambiguous but the ambiguity
doesn't matter. X can be either the subject of <mojmeH>:

 	tlhIngan Hol mojmeH X, vImughpu'.
	In order for X to become Klingon, I translated it.

or the object of <-mugh->:

	tlhIngan Hol mojmeH, X vImughpu'.
	In order for it to become Klingon, I translated X.

although I think the first parse is likelier, since it mentions X
explicitly in the first clause before leaving it to be understood in the
second.

tlhIngan veQbeq marqem la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
Subcommander Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps --
                    Death to Litterbugs!
  http://www.dragonsys.com/klingon/klingon.html

               NO SOLICITORS OVER 18
  Religious, commercial, charitable, or otherwise
         ** Offenders will be COMPOSTED **

Back to archive top level