tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 30 19:02:10 1996

KLBC

{peqIm tlhIngan Hol bojatlhbogh!  tlhIHvaD jIjatlhneS!}
Okay... that was supposed to be "Attention you (pl.) who speak
Klingon.  I am honoured to speak with you (all)."

My name is Dave Yeung and I can currently speak English and Cantonese --
and I hope to add tlhIngan Hol to my repertoire!  I had read somewhere
that this was a good place to learn.  I've had TKD for some time (it's
VERY beat up) as well as the tapes CK and PK, the book The Klingon Way...
and I've also finished Star Trek: Klingon (the CD-ROM game).  But I've
NEVER actually talked to someone ELSE in Hol.  :) [or is it {{:-) ?]

{jIHvaD QaghmeywIj tI'ang!}
Please feel free to correct my grammar, spelling, etc.

{tlhIngan Hol vIqelDI', Sayu' vIneHqu'}
That's supposed to mean something like "I have a lot to ask you (all)
about tlhIngan Hol."  Is this understandable?

Well, I'll ask two questions now and save the rest for later.

1) I've seen the .GIF file of the {pIqaD} alphabet.  If this is correct,
   do the letters have any names?  For example, in English the letter
   "b" is pronounced "bee".  When I want to make a reference to a specific
   {pIqaD} letter, do I just say "Klingon bee" or is there a Klingon
   name for the letter?  I've noticed that the {pIqaD} letters look a
   lot like lip movements.  Is there a reason for this?  Also some of
   the letters look pictographic.  For example, {b} looks like a {betleH}
   to me, and I thought about calling it "the letter betleH", but
   then what's the Klingon word for "letter (of the alphabet)"?

2) Are there other speakers/learners of Hol in Toronto?  Actually I
   live in Mississauga, which is close enough to Toronto.  (That's
   Toronto, Ontario, Canada, not that OTHER Toronto.) It would be
   great to be able to actually TALK to someone in Hol, so I can practise
   the sounds.

{DaH jIjatlhta'.  pItlh!}
Well, that's all for now!

Back to archive top level