tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 30 15:24:08 1996

Re: KLBC: jIlIHegh vIneH

Tony Harris writes:
>jIlIHegh vIneH:

bIlIH'eghmo' qatlho'.  bISaH 'e' wISovchugh QaQ ghu'.
Thanks for the introduction.  It's good to know that you are here.
(You misspelled {-'egh}, but your spelling is consistently good elsewhere.)

>*Vermont*Daq jIyIn.

[I can't fault your choice of words, but I encourage you to think carefully
about the meaning of this sentence.  When *I* see {yIn} I think "be alive"
instead of "reside"; many others don't have a problem with this, though.]

>ghojpa'Daq jIvum.

I can't figure out what you mean by the first word.  {ghoj} is a verb,
and {ghojpa'} means "before he learns", but {-Daq} is a noun suffix.
{pa'Daq} means "in the room", but that doesn't fit with {ghoj} either.
I don't find any obvious words you might have misspelled or looked up
incorrectly.  Sorry, I can't read through this.

>tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaHmo' DaH tlhIngan pong vIghajbe'.

"Because I am [still] learning the Klingon language, Now I don't have a
Klingon name."  This might be better expressed by the phrase {wej vIghaj}
"I don't yet have it" instead of {DaH vIghajbe'} "I don't have it now".

>tlhIngan Hol vIghItlhDI' jIQagh 'e' vISov.  QaghmeywIj boja' 'e' vItlhob.

The first sentence is fine -- and, unfortunately, correct. :-)
When using "verbs of saying" like {tlhob} "ask", the pronoun {'e'} is not
included.  The question being asked is instead stated as a direct quote.
You would say {QaghmeywIj yIja' vItlhob} "I ask: report my errors."  But
this is a command, not a question; you probably should just give the order
{QaghmeywIj yIja'}.

>law'DI jajmey Dochvam vIbej 'ej gharchugh tlhIngan Hol ghItlhmey vaj jIQuch.

"As soon as the days are many I watch this thing and if Klingon language
manuscripts conduct diplomacy then I am happy."  It's grammatical, but I
don't quite know why you said this.  Did you misspell {qar}?  "If Klingon
language manuscripts are accurate..." would make more sense to me.

>'ach tlhIngan Hol ghItlhmey tlhIngan tayqeq ja'bogh vIghItlh 'e' chaw'lu''a'?

"But does one permit that I write Klingon language manuscripts' Klingon
civilization which are reported?"  I think you got the verb {ja'} in the
wrong place; are you trying to refer to writings which talk about Klingon
civilization?  Try {tlhIngan tayqeq luqelbogh tlhIngan Hol ghItlhmey'e'}.
The {-mey} is optional since the verb prefix {lu-} indicates plural subject.

We usually prefer the construction {net chaw} here instead of {'e' chaw'lu'},
but the way you did it is attested in The Klingon Way.

>SuvwI' chaH'a' Hoch tlhInganpu'?  Du'meyDaq vumnIS vay'.  Suypu' ghaHtaHnIS
>vay'.

SuvwI' ghaH je wIjwI'.  yotlh charghbej.  may' 'oH je malja'.  potlh yay.
reH SuvwI' chaH tlhInganna'.

>boja' 'e' vItlhob.

Again, this kind of construction isn't used in Klingon.  Don't dilute your
command by making it a question; tell us what you want us to do:  {peja'!}

>Dochvam Dayajbe'chugh vaj yItlhob 'ej qayajmoH.

Just tell me what you mean by {ghojpa'Daq}.